Sunday, February 15, 2009

skiing is kind of like hell to me

I don't like to ski. I feel kind of like I should because it makes sense that it would be something one would enjoy. Going down thru fresh powder with the sun in your face enjoying the speed and having a good time. But to me, it's just hell. No matter how many times I tell my body to go a certain way on the skis, my body does not respond to what my brain is telling it and it often does something else which usually just leaves me frustrated and in pain. 

I think that there are things that some of us just can't do that seem simple to other people. (I can easily keep my house orderly, but not everyone can do that.) I don't think that just because we can't do something that everyone else seems to be able to do makes us a bad person, we just aren't programmed to do everything and all of us have different skills and abilities. I know that I should be able to improve my skiing ability with more practice, but honestly the next person that tells me that I want to punch. I have tried and tried and tried and I can't get it and quite frankly don't feel like I should and now just don't want to. I'd rather be doing anything that skiing. I'd rather be organizing my kitchen then skiing. 

I realized today that I have never liked recreation activities. I like people who like recreation activities, but I just don't prefer to spend my time doing that. I would pretty much rather be doing anything else. I have never enjoyed hiking, I hate white water rafting, I don't like competitive sports. I don't mind a simple game of kick ball sometimes but that is about it. I also want to reiterate that I LOVE people who enjoy these things, I just don't enjoy the things like they do. 

I've been reading the book - The Search for Significance- and I've realized that I only do recreation activities to win the approval of others (because every other person on the planet seems to enjoy them) or I only do them to get better and to prove that I can perform. I have never done one sport or recreation activity for my own enjoyment, ever. 

I enjoy watching a good movie or reading a good book, or driving in my convertible (that's outside, does it count as a recreation?), or going for a walk or picking fruit or growing a vegetable garden or walking my cat (yes, it's true, I have a leash and everything), or talking with my husband, or writing or painting or making dinner or hanging with friends. It's not that I won't ski or do something recreation, I don't mind doing it occasionally. It's just that it's not something that I feel I need to do nor do I want to do. I just feel this obligation to do it because of how much other people seem to enjoy it and the pressure that they and I put on myself to do it. 

So, I'm dealing with this question- does it make me weird to not like recreation activities? I kinda feel like it does but I just have comes to terms with the fact that I hate them. I think I really just dislike recreation activities but my dislike has grown to hate because I have not been able to stand up to the pressure to do them and now with everyone saying that I just need to stick with something (like skiing) has turned my dislike to hate. 

I don't want to make make a big deal about it. People who continually ask me about a certain recreation activity aren't trying t pressure me, they're just trying to share with me something that they enjoy which I can appreciate. I try and share stuff with other people that I enjoy hoping that they would enjoy it too. I've just accepted that I don't enjoy recreation stuff. It doesn't mean that I won't ever do anything recreational again, it just means that I've finally accepted that it's just not me and that is OK. I do other things. 

1 comment:

Rikki said...

lol. Stacey, I couldn't agree with you more on the snow skiing front. I live in a beautiful skiing mecca and I've been once in my life and decided after that I would never go again....and I haven't.

I'm sorry your struggling with the recreational activity dilemma. Some of us are just not people who like the moving and shaking of being out. I have learned to enjoy a good walk but there are certain perameters that have to go with it for me to like doing it. I'd much rather stay inside and make something. It's way more fun!