Saturday, February 14, 2009

i understand why it was called the great depression

Life is so depressing these days. I log into cnn everyday and the headlines are so awful. 2 days ago I read about the puppies they are having to shoot in Iraq because of how diseased they are. Yesterday the plane crash was awful. I think that was yesterday. I don't remember exactly because everyday it seems to get worse. Just the news alone that 1 in 10 Americans are without a job and the forecloses are just getting worse. My friend in San Diego has made her house payment every month and when she went to seek help from one of the agencies who are helping people with payments, they told her to miss 3 months of payments and then come back. She said she can make her payments, she'd just like to try and get them reduced because the price of everything has gone up and they told her it doesn't matter. They can't help her until she misses more than 2 payments in a row. 

It's really depressing out there. All of the headlines point to doom and gloom and there's not a lot of things that people can do about it. I certainly don't feel like I have much power to stop these awful things and that's just all the more depressing. 

I long so much for hope these days. I think that's one of the reasons why I am in love the flight that landed safely on the water in the hudson. It was a the type of miracle that my soul was looking for. Something that could fill me with hope that sometimes good things do happen in the world by regular folks who, just by doing their jobs, make the world a better place.

I have a couple jobs that I do in my small world. I work at American Industries. I love my husband. I go to church. I email friends. I make quilts. I blog. These things are so small and don't do much for the rest of the world but they're part of my job here and I enjoy doing them. They keep me from sinking into a depression that the headlines of our times can give someone. 

These times have put my mind and heart on constant search for something to believe in, something that tells me that we will have a better future than what we are experiencing right now. I think it's out there. I see it when my husband smiles at me and when we laugh over something funny at the office. I see it when my cat rubs on my leg and looks up at me. I see it when I hear about the stories from the pilots who landed the plane on the hudson. I see it when I see my friend Laura and how she is preparing for her new baby. There's hope out there; hope that can overflow our soul and give us love for others in these days that are hard.

No comments: