Tuesday, October 14, 2008

This is a black-tie event.

Michael and I are going to the Doernbecher Gala on Saturday. The Gala is at the Oregon Convention Center and is raising funds for their pediatric emergency department. Currently, they have a doctor who specializes in pediatrics available from 11:00 am – 11:00 pm. Their goal is have one 24 hours a day. They also are hoping to make some improvements to their pediatric wing at OHSU.  

The invitations states that this is a black- tie event. Michael and I were going to donate $150 to the cause. A tiny sliver in their bucket of need for 5 million dollars, but every cent counts right? Well, it’ll cost us $150 to rent Michael a tux for evening and so we’re faced with the obvious – Do we rent Michael a tux and forgo the tiny donation or do we dress him up in a nice suit (that we already have) and give the $150 to Doernbecher?

I normally would just give the money to Doernbecher. Of all the Gala's Michael and I have been to, we've never rented him a tux before, no matter what the dress code was but this time it feels like we need to just because we're sitting with some major players and they will be in tuxes. Not everyone will be in a tux and my boss won't, but it's kinda stressing me out a little bit. I didn’t think it would be as big of a deal. I do not want to offend anyone by our dress but I feel the money should go to the children and not to Men’s Warehouse. Make sense?

2 comments:

Carrie Peeples said...

That's a hard decision!! I would think that wearing a nice suit and giving the money would be more important. But if not dressing appropriately is going to be a deal then... Could you ask your boss or someone at work? I can't imagine people would care that much. But I've never been to something like that.

fishylady said...

Maybe next year Doernbecher could have it be a costume event so that people could be a formal or just stay with the theme. Or maybe they could get Mens Warehouse to donate tux rentals, so that people could give their money and get to feel formal...? Who knows. I am sure the kids appreciate having a doctor around. Way to help make the world a better place.