Sunday, October 26, 2008

the judge

I haven’t heard the words ‘accept Christ’ for years. I thought that that terminology was dead. It’s not part of the language of the world we live in today and it’s not post Christianity which is where most people live these days. 

Last night I heard someone say that they wished so and so would accept Christ.  I’ve used those words myself a long time ago and I assume they meant that they want someone to say Jesus’ name with their lips.

I’ve been thinking about this all day. Here are my thoughts about speaking Jesus’ name with ones lips. It comes from the Bible verse in Romans - “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” I don’t think we can judge others and their hearts. How the heck can I say that this person or that person knows Jesus? How can I say that? And then add in the element of time, and maybe they do or don’t confess His name today but maybe it switches tomorrow? So, although I personally like this verse, I don’t think it was intended for us to make mental lists of who does and doesn’t do this. We cannot read other people’s heart or their heads, only God can and when we try to do that, we are trying to be like God. I don’t know who around me truly seeks a living and moving omnipresence. I am not the judge (especially after reading the Shack); I don’t want to be and well, am just not the judge for others when it comes to who has and who has not accepted Jesus.

No comments: