Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Shack by William Young

I got to read the Shack on Saturday. Michael was in training all day for ski patrol and I was on the mountain with him so I had about 8 hours to occupy myself with. I had heard that the book was good enough to read in one sitting so I had been waiting to start it until I knew I had the time to finish it. 

The book was really interesting to me. I definitely liked it, but I feel like I need to read it again to understand more of what it was talking about. I would say that the main drift of it was for the reader to have a broader, non Christian understanding of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit and it really does deliver. The book also talks about something that it calls 'the great sadness.' The great sadness has come over this one man who lost his young daughter to a horrible murder in a shack 4 years before returning to it to meet God. I could really relate to 'the great sadness.' There's so much hurt in the world and this man had every right to be living in a great sadness after what happened to his daughter. His journey thru knowledge, understanding, and eventually peace was an incredible read. I also liked the way God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit interacted with him and with each other. I feel like I learned a lot which is probably why I want to read it again. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to agree!! I thought this was a GREAT book too. Took me a little longer than 8 hours or one sitting to read... :)