Thursday, November 13, 2008

Security

I don’t think the government should bailout the auto industry. First of all, a bailout would ignore basic economic supply and demand consequences. People are not buying new cars today because they either cannot afford them or cannot get the financing, either why the demand is down. A bailout would allow the auto industry to continue making hundreds of thousands of more cars, but the demand is down. We are already saturated with lots of new cars. This ignores basic economics. Second, bailing out the auto industry might suggest the government will bailout anyone and many companies could demand a bailout and sue the government for discrimination if they don’t get one. The bailout needs to stop so that we can continue to live in a free market.

I am concerned for our financial future as a nation. Right now our country is running out of credit and low on cash. The banks have white knuckled their grasp on credit and the average consumer stopped, well, being a consumer during the month of October. The government has tried to step in to help, but in a free market there’s only so much government can do (and there’s only so much that we want the government to do because we want the market to remain free). We are in a global recession of some sorts. With DHL announcing its closing all domestic operations and ending 9,500 jobs, and the 3 main United Sates auto industry manufactures crawling around begging for money, it makes one wonder what lies ahead. I heard today an estimation that 500,000 more jobs will be lost in the United States in the next 6 months.

I have often found security in deposits. It seems like having money in the bank and cash on hand would make me feel secure. As if with money, I feel like I can do anything; without money, I feel very limited and occasionally a little anxious. However, and this is really weird part, the times that I have had more money I have been more concerned that I would lose it and the times when I have had less money, I feel that it is only an opportunity to make more money. So when I have less money and I can’t find my security in money because there is no money, I gain wisdom and rely on God and the provisions he has already given me. I stop spending and I start looking for ways to make money and save money. Having less money is always an exciting time in my life because it forces me to survive and when I have to survive, I thrive. I hope that our nation thrives after this difficult financial year ahead. 

This is one of the most fascinating times to live in, in our history. I thank God I am a part of this time in our history and for being my ultimate security.

No comments: