Tuesday, February 19, 2008

fessing up

Last week I made mistake a work. My boss asked me to fed ex him something on Friday, so that it would arrive on Saturday. I did, making sure that I checked the 'urgent' box so that it would get there to him promptly. On Sunday I was skiing on the mountain when I came in and checked my phone. I had a voice message. From my boss. He hadn't received the package yet and was wondering if I knew what had happened to it. (It was carrying confidential information.) I realized that I hadn't marked the 'Saturday delivery' box on the package and with the Holiday it didn't end up arriving until Tuesday (after he had left). I called him from the mountain on Sunday and told him it was my fault and that I was sorry. It didn't reach him in time and it wasn't good. It feels great to be in a working relationship where I can honest about my mistakes, working for someone who wants the truth more than anything else.

It sometimes totally freaks me out to be honest. I don't like looking like I have made a mistake. I know, I know. We all make mistakes but I tend to prefer to hide mine. I get scared that if people see them than they will find out something about me and dislike me and I do want people to like me. I have much more respect for someone who is honest than someone who is always saying the right answer. It's just scary to me to always be honest but I am definitely working on it. Just speaking to others honesty and really thinking about everything that I say and everything that could be perceived out of what I say. I have to give homage to God for this. He gave me my job and its the people at my job who are teaching me these simple Biblical truths.

1 comment:

Carrie Peeples said...

This was a great post! Looking forward to lunch on Monday!