Tuesday, July 7, 2009

a downer

I am sad over one of my best friends divorce. I never saw a divorce possible for such an amazing couple. They were so in love for 8 years but the last year was too hard, and now he is leaving.

 

I keep thinking about William P. Young's definition for grief in his book The Shack. He called it the great sadness. Obviously, I don’t know the first thing about losing a child (like in the book) nor do I know anything about the personal pain of divorce, but I am sad.

 

Michael says to look at the good things that are happening in my friends life and to see God’s hand in it. I do see that, I am just struggling with the typical (and somewhat annoying) why question. Why??? I’ve tried to think positively about how much depth sadness brings to a friendship; a depth that joy doesn’t reach but that doesn’t make it much better. I’d still rather have joy. I want my friend to be happy. Even I have sadness coming at me from different angles over this situation so I can’t imagine the sadness that is attacking her.

 

Anyway, it’s not as bad as it sounds, it’s just since I heard, I occasionally get overwhelmed with sadness for my friend.

No comments: